One of the primary objectives of the Wisconsin Association of Staffing Services is to provide legislative action on behalf of the staffing industry.
Wisconsin Association of Staffing Services represents its members and the staffing industry as one voice in our effort to communicate industry matters to legislative and government leaders and regulators. Visit this page regularly to learn about the latest news in legislative action.
- Important WFEA decision on Arrest & Conviction Record Discrimination March 15th, 2022 - On March 10, 2022, the Wisconsin Supreme Court issued its much-awaited decision in Cree, Inc. v. Palmer. The notable decision provided much-needed relief to Wisconsin employers by clarifying the WFEA’s arrest and conviction record discrimination law, easing employers’ burden for proving a substantial relationship when the underlying criminal conduct concerns domestic abuse, and rejecting LIRC’s... Read more »
- President Biden and the New Congress March 10th, 2021 - Thanks to Mike Gotzler, WASS Board Member and Attorney at Littler Mendelson, for his view of the new administration and possible issues affecting the staffing industry! Mike presented an informative webinar on Tuesday, March 9th. In case you couldn't join in, you can learn more about how voters are shaping workplace policy from Littler and... Read more »
- New Separation Notice Requirement for Wisconsin Employers October 14th, 2020 - Emergency Rule DWD 120.02 Beginning November 2, 2020, Wisconsin employers will be required to notify workers at separation about the availability of unemployment insurance (UI) benefits pursuant to an emergency rule recently issued by the Department of Workforce Development (DWD). As in other states, Wisconsin’s DWD has interpreted a provision in the federal Families First... Read more »
- COVID-19 and the American Workplace April 29th, 2020 - United States Department of Labor Quick Reference Links Temporary Rule: Paid Leave under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act Quick Benefits Tip Flyer Fact Sheets from the Department of Labor
- Ask Congress for Covid-19 Relief for Staffing Firms April 14th, 2020 - Ask Congress for Covid-19 Relief Contact Your Senators and Representatives Today As previously reported to ASA members, and in order to address staffing firms’ liquidity issues in light of the Covid-19 pandemic, ASA is asking Congress to afford the industry priority status for financial assistance. ASA is also asking that the date by which firms... Read more »
- What you need to know about Safer at Home in Wisconsin March 25th, 2020 - SLOW THE SPREAD, SAFER AT HOME Starting today, Wednesday March 25, 2020, Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers has issued a Safer at Home order. It will be in effect from Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 8:00 am and run until Friday, April 24, 2020 at 8:00 am. During this time, Wisconsin residents will still be able... Read more »
- Reach Out to Your Federal Contacts; Urge COVID-19 Relief for the Staffing Industry March 25th, 2020 - Time is of the essence. Please engage in outreach as soon as you can —later in the week may be too late. In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate likely will take up a fourth COVID-19 relief package for businesses this week. ASA is asking for relief specifically... Read more »
- US DOL – Overtime Update October 28th, 2019 - On September 24, 2019, the U.S. Department of Labor announced a final rule to make 1.3 million American workers newly eligible for overtime pay. The final rule is effective on January 1, 2020. So don’t wait, get up to speed on the new changes! For more information to find out who is affected click here.
- Wisconsin Governor Proposes Marijuana Legalization and New Employment Laws April 8th, 2019 - Wisconsin employers reviewing Governor Tony Evers’ very first budget proposal may be surprised by the number of the employment-related items. The substance of those proposals may also catch employers by surprise, with some observers viewing the Evers budget as an effort to erase the employer-friendly legacy of the former governor, Scott Walker. Presented to the state legislature... Read more »
- WASS Supports Worker’s Compensation Medical Fee Schedule September 27th, 2017 - The WASS board has voted to join the Worker’s Compensation Employers Coalition in supporting important cost-savings to the workers’ compensation system in Wisconsin. While certain aspects of Wisconsin’s current workers’ compensation work well, and workplace injuries have dropped nearly 60% over the last 20 years, the medical costs have gotten out of control. Experience... Read more »